Breaking News: Special Council of Minister’s meeting made five (5) decisions
By Baak V. A. Wol
Following a special Council of Ministers meeting today, Friday, 14 August 2015, attended by Presidential Advisors, National Minister, members of the SPLM Political Bureau, Heads of Independent Commissions, Heads of South Sudan Political Parties, Governors of all the ten (10) States of South Sudan, Chief Administrators of Abyei & Pibor, senior members of the National Legislative Assembly and members of the Council of States, etc. the meeting decided the following:
1. To recall back Hon. Nhial Deng Nhial to come and brief H. E. the President in Juba on the progress at the peace talks in Addis Ababa – Ethiopia (NOT THE WHOLE NEGOTIATING TEAM AS REPORTED BY REBELS ON INTERNET);
2. To postpone the visit of H. E. President Salva Kiir Mayardit to Ethiopia until such time when he has been fully briefed and clarity has been established on all the issues raised by the government’s side with IGAD-plus mediators and the rebels;
3. To delegate the Vice President of the Republic H. E. James Wani Igga to travel to Ethiopia following comprehensive briefings in Juba by the government’s Chief negotiator, in-order to (a) Represent the President at the IGAD Head of States & Government’s meeting, and (b) to establish certain facts from the IGAD-plus mediators and the rebels, paving the way for a visit by H. E. President Salva Kiir to Ethiopia at a latter date;
4. To ascertain from IGAD-plus mediators if the points agreed at the recent meeting of the Heads of States & Governments in Uganda has been incorporated fully into the proposed compromised agreement, as was agreed;
5. To solicit assurances from the IGAD-plus mediators and the clarifications from rebels on the recent unfortunate developments in the rebels camp (i.e. split by 13 army generals from Riek’s rebellion), and to ascertain if any signed peace agreement with one faction of the rebels will really bring a lasting peace to South Sudan, and if not – than what is the new way forward.