Ateny Wek: My apologies for disparaging the legacy of Dr. John Garang

Posted: October 19, 2016 by PaanLuel Wël in Commentary, Contributing Writers, Opinion Articles, Opinion Writers, Press Release

Retraction of my article, “Is Madam Nyandeng the Mother of the Nation, If yes Then how?”

Press statement from Ateny Wek Ateny, Juba, South Sudan

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

October 19, 2016 (SSB) — I am writing to retract my article entitled as above because I have taken heed to the advices from my good friends across the world asking me to retract the item and chorus from South Sudanese Australians responding to those who are insulting me.

Some of my good friends are in Bor Community to whom I value their friendship the most. And choosing to defend my views HAS given me sleepless nights. For those who know me well, I do not give up easily on any matter I take to champion.

But, this time, it is unfortunate that my humble view (triggered by Madam Nyandeng’s unguided political approach to the situations in South Sudan) is regarded divisive and disparaging to Dr. John Garang’s legacy.

But it was not my intention. I had acknowledged in my item that Dr. John’s legacy would REMAIN sacrosanct forever. Yet, my section remains exceedingly misunderstood.

So, for that reason, I beg to retract my item and then wait for the right time, if any, to express my views further top.

Now, for the office I hold and the intentional refusals by all who have read the item to accept my disclaimer, therefore jeopardizing my defence from some unreasonable attack against me, I beg to retract my article, though not necessarily out of fear to debate my point.

May God bless Garang’s legacy.

The opinion expressed here is solely the view of the writer. The veracity of any claim made are the responsibility of the author, not PaanLuel Wël: South Sudanese Bloggers (SSB) website. If you want to submit an opinion article or news analysis, please email it to paanluel2011@gmail.com. SSB do reserve the right to edit material before publication. Please include your full name, email address and the country you are writing.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. God de Kuei says:

Good that Mr. spokeperson your senses are back, you can not steal legacy in the day light. However, south Sudanese know the really legacy of president Kiir, starting in 2013 up to day. we know you as well as Kiirdit and what you are after. Good you made an apology, Garang would have say a word within this weekend. Prodigal son can be forgiven even if Garang is not happy!

therefore, those had responded to your artcle are not only Dinka Bor as you put it! the responded came from all south Sudanese .
    Thanks you for knowing your mistaking!

• Atem says:

Mr. Ateny Wek, this is how person in any position should actually acts. Apologize when you get caught. Also you should direct your apology to South Sudanese in general and Dr. Garang’s family in particular. I wasn’t part of people who responded to your article, but was watching and wondering how far would you go about this, which unnecessary topic while our country at war.

2. As we saw the evidences , the world is a place of jealousy and treason , President Kirr is the father of the nation. He stayed the course with John Garang at the time things were in the bad shape on the side of SPLM/A. His legacy is destroyed by his family, wife, son and I don’t want to mention the outsiders who are there with their own gold. Does Mabior Garang Mabior knows how many followers of his father who lost their lives in the war that he led ? It’s patriotism to the nation, and loyalty to John Garang. He teamed up with an enemy of his father. There are millions of words to say to him but he won’t listen because he was born abstinent . Legacy to the leader is appreciated and welcome by his family. I talked too much against them but I have reservations and forgiveness to.

• Part Man-Part Machine says:

PRESIDENT KIIR “FATHER OF NATION” MY FOOT!

Where on earth can vision-less Kiir be given such honorific award when he totally failed to proof his worth, the man who can’t even build a single tarmac but power greed who’s now surrounded by NCP goons/bootlickers, We were waiting to hit Ateny and his corrupt president hard. They squandered/looted our resources (Mayen Wol and Co) and never shall we allow them to extend thuggery to our history. Posthumous coup will never happen under our watch, neither shall we be silent when someone with refugee status like Ateny former NCP boy try to attack our hero Dr. John Garang to elevate his drunk president-cum-NCP stooge over him (Dr. Garang)

President Kiir did nothing extraordinary that can supersede the contributions Late Dr. John did, Kiir turned his swords on freedom fighters, South Sudanese and national resources which is evident by the recent sentry report released, Hoisting of the flag can’t justified him as the Father of the Nation, its like taking our over brother’s wife in event of his demise, In our culture, it doesn’t guarantee you as the father of the children and husband to late’s wife, We were up for independence whether Kiir was there or not! President has alot to answer, currently true liberators are rotting in abject poverty, diseases and he’s in bed enjoying wines/our sweat with former harsh enemies (NCP-cum-militias) that have killed our love ones.

We know the elusive attitudes that’s cooking in J1, starting with setup of Yau Yau rebellion to Man Made catastrophe of December 2013. This is not the first time for Ateny Wack Ateny and group to write articles of such nature, Whether in future, we shall be ready with venom to dismantle corrupt ideologies.

There’s a say in our language “Angui ce chiu ace cham”, We will conduct extensive research on Kiir from CPA to post independence era with the support of international actors like sentry, Enough project and amnesty international to pave way for him to face justice for depriving us of our services and hard earned independent.

3. Deng Deng says:

Ateny Wek Ateny, what you have written is not an apology because you have not admitted your mistake or regret the wrong you have done. I am advising you to think over it again and write another apology that would reflects the image of sincere apology. If you you don’t repent otherwise you will lost your one remaining eye in the nearest future.

4. Deng Deng says:

It is not an apology because Ateny Wek has never used his only words he uses always, “the fact that” like the only word of his uncle Salva Kiir, “eennu”. Shame on you Foolish majority.

5. Part Man-Part Machine says:

PRESIDENT KIIR IS THE BURDEN TO THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH SUDAN

Good you have apologised, We were waiting to hit you and your corrupt president hard. you squandered/looted our resources (Mayen Wol and Co) and never shall we allow you to extend thuggery to our history. Posthumous coup will never happen under our watch, neither shall we be silent when someone with refugee status like Ateny try to attack our hero Dr. John Garang to elevate his drunk president over him (Dr. Garang)

President Kiir did nothing extraordinary that can supersede the contributions Late Dr. John did, Kiir turned his swords on South Sudanese and national resources which is evident by the recent sentry report released, Hoisting of the flag can’t justified him as the Father of the Nation, its like taking our over brother’s wife in even of demise, In our culture, it doesn’t guarantee you as the father of the children and husband to late’s wife, We were up for independence whether Kiir was there or not! President has alot to answer, currently true liberators are rotting and he’s in bed with former harsh enemies (militias) that have killed our love ones.

We know the elusive attitudes that’s cooking in J1 and this is not the first time for Ateny Wack Ateny and group to write nature of such articles, Whether in future, we shall be ready with venom to dismantle corrupt ideologies.

6. Peter Kuol Lual says:

Congrats, Mr Ateny Wek! The apology is not a sign of weakness in leadership, but the symptom of humility. You will be exemplary to other leaders who can not fear to apologize to the public.

7. Dengda says:

Ateny Wek assumed he had cemented his everyday lies and contradiction and thought what left to is rewrite the history to uplift yourself. work hard clean your master legacy first. Or you mean 2004 conspiracy? ” You touched leopard’s anus” M7 once said.