The Sudan civil war, and those who poured their parental guidance into nurturing us (Part 3)

Posted: December 15, 2016 by PaanLuel Wël in Columnists, Featured Articles, Kur Wël Kur, Opinion Articles, Opinion Writers

Sebit William Garang Dut: The Sudan civil war, and those who poured their parental guidance into nurturing us

By Kur Wël Kur, Adelaide, Australia

Sebit William Garang Dut

Sebit William Garang Dut, former SPLM/A camp commander in charge of Jesh el-Amer in Palotaka, Eastern Country

December 15, 2016 (SSB) — For those of you who know little or nothing about this leadership genius, I would like to take your time to understand how this man “carried” us, the Face Foundations in Palotaka (Palataka), on his shoulders.  I believe Sebit William Garang Dut deserves a recognition for his contributions in bringing up the unaccompanied minors of the Palataka (Palataka) in eastern Equatoria.

Before I ask your opinions about whether he deserves a platform of heroism or not, I would like to mention his South Sudan Liberation Profile (SSLP). Who was he in the course of the liberation? David Matiop Gai, the writer of Dinka Community: The MTN of South Sudan, Palotaka (Palataka)  Face Foundation: Dr. John Garang’s Predictable Seeds for New Sudan series and other political articles on PaanLuel Wël, has this to say about Sebit William Garang Dut:

“Sebit William Garang Dut is the elder son of William Garang Dut from Anook community in Maar Payam. He was a director of education in the autonomous government of Southern Sudan. Sebit went to Bongo in Ethiopia. He graduated in rank of 1st lieutenant (LT). He was injured on leg in Jackou. In 1990 Dr. John Garang sent Sebit William to Palataka face Foundation as camp commander with rank of captain. He was promoted as a lieutenant commander in 1992. He served as an educationist in the liberated areas until the birth of CPA. He is now a director of education in the ministry of General Education in the government of South Sudan”

Sebit would stroll around in jesh al hamar’s groups, checking on everyone. When speaking, his voice produced a sound that was so distinctive; the sound of his voice would rip through the clouds of voices of those who surrounded, walking side by side, showing and explaining him some things. His evening patrols became less and less as the realities of taking care for thousands of boys demanded a lot from him.

In caring for us at Palataka in Equatoria, first of all, Sebit William Garang Dut had a young family: his wife and his three children (Nyuon, Anyier and Dut). His amazing children had to sacrifice their times like everyone else. They saw their father as little as all of us. Sebit rarely spent a month in Palotaka without traveling.

Sebit William Garang Dut had an old Toyota four-wheel drive (land rover 110), which he used to travel to places like Pageri, Torit and Ashwa in search of our food and medicines. With that old car, Sebit William was accompanied by his two body guards and a driver, Majur Kuch Achol (R.I.P). However, the car surrendered to its old age. It broke down. It stood a wreck in the junk yard. So, he was given a red motorcycle (by the leadership of the SPLM/A).

For a while Sebit travelled on that bike to other places in search of school stationery, uniforms, and bedding such as blankets. His one bodyguard who sat at the back of the bike became unnecessary because Sebit became the human’s shield for his bodyguard. Maybe or not, this fact had an effect in his decision of traveling alone, I don’t know (this is the purest form of my assumption). He cycled alone.

On one of the fateful days, he slipped into the demons’ den. He had an accident. His wrist, knee and some parts of his body were injured, but the joints of his wrist and knee were badly strained. The accident broke his hip. He was collected and he stayed outside Palotaka for some time while his injuries were nursed in Nairobi, Kenya. When he arrived back at Palotaka, he came limping; he limped for sometimes before he gained his normal gait.

What others say about him:

Sebit William Garang Dut is a hard worker; like he travelled from Palataka to Pagari in search for food; kind like not cruel to red army (us), he was caring or nursing; loved to listen to our complaints; Sebit is patient and a good administrator,” By Jima Anak

“In Palataka, children could only compare their own lives to that of Daniel in the lion’s den. The only hope available would come from their calm, professional teacher and Captain, Sebit William Garang de Dut. As a teacher, Sebit was able to understand how to deal with so many children who were desperate in many cases. Many of them were missing their parents, faced by hunger, dragging with acute or septic wounds but Sebit would always relay word of hope. Having his family and that of Kuol Manyang were the best signs that made many unaccompanied minors to work hard and hope,” By Ajak Deng Chiengkou, Australia

“The best quality of Sebit William leadership while in Palataka, it is a wonderful simple question with complex answers. You know we love him because he was a humble life man, his responsibility, I remember he used to leave Palataka through tough roads to Pageri, the SPLM/A headquarter. His roles and professional development on Red Army was paramount. His emotional intelligence, and vision on the vision of SPLM through the red army. He served the red army in Palataka with unwavering efforts and commitment. Remember Makwei, he was broken again by motorbike while ridding to Pageri for our own affairs. He looked after us and provided food from UN, and reported regularly to World Food Programme (WFP), and Norwegian People Aid (NPA). He was a leader and loving father. He took us through a critical time from 1990-1999 when Palataka remnants remained in Lobone. The other good thing about Sebit, he didn’t want us that time to be harmed by anti-SPM/A like Lord Resistant Army (LRA) of Uganda, and Southerners rebels against John Garang,” By David Matiop Gai, Juba, South Sudan

Readers of this blog, the beauty of the history is when it’s consistent; I asked the people who gave their opinions about Sebit William and their answers with what I wrote have the same train of thoughts. This acts as a thread connecting the fabric of characters of this wonderful teacher. This education and leadership genius is a hero and the founder of the builders of the South Sudan. He worked in South Sudan as a director in the ministry of education.

He left his position because of his health. He is suffering from early stage of arthritis. My dear citizens of my country, as time flies, heroes like Sebit William Garang Dut will fade away in the public view, but their works will be documented and they will live as long as our country lives.

Thanks for your time, and lookout for:  [Part four/Awur Mawel Malual]

Kur Wël Kur has a Bachelor Degree in Genetics and Zoology from Australian National University (ANU). He was the former the General Secretary of Greater Bor Community in Adelaide, Australia. He can be reached via his email contact: kurwelkur @ yahoo.com

The opinion expressed here is solely the view of the writer. The veracity of any claim made are the responsibility of the author, not PaanLuel Wël: South Sudanese Bloggers (SSB) website. If you want to submit an opinion article or news analysis, please email it to paanluel2011@gmail.com. SSB do reserve the right to edit material before publication. Please include your full name, email address, the city and the country you are writing from.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Yoma says:

Thank you Kur Wel. Sebit’s children were three. There was a little girl between the elder daughter and Dut. Yes Sebit William is my role model and he deserve a formal recognition for his hard work.

• Kur Wel Kur says:

Really? I thought Dut came after Suzy, in later years, came Ajak. That’s the strength of my memory; my memory might have failed.

More importantly, thanks for your update, thanks for your time.

With best regards,
      Kur Wel Kur

2. Thank Kur for the recognition you gave out to the public about your teacher, care taker and the chairman of the camp. Seibit William Garang Dut should be always remember next to our God given man , Pieng Deng Kuol of Panyoundu . I hope God will keep Pieng Deng and Seibit William to watch how South Sudanese do their things for future betterment for South Sudan.

• Kur Wel Kur says:

Dear Chagai,

Thanks for your time and comments. We must acknowledge those who denied themselves somethings for our sake. Therefore, we owe a lot to all our teachers and caretakers.

Thanks once again for your time.
      With best regards,
      Kur Wel Kur.

3. william Abur says:

Brother Kur, I’m from Tonji and I had the opportunity of witnessing Camarade Sebit William in Palataka when he was deployed there. I was in group 5. Sebit william is a calm and charismatic leader. He has done a great job when he was in Palataka. Therefore, I’m pleased to add my acknowledgement and public recognition of Sebit William. Today,I’m a PhD candidate who is a product of Palatak Foundation.
    Sebit William took Palataka leadership Awur Anyuen. I’m not sure where is now.

• David Matiop says:

Very fantastic brother William Abur to hear you a PhD candidate seed of Polataka. Debit William, his love for Red army and sacrifices are throughout our history. Thanks Kur Wel Kur and all Polataka Face Foundation for tremendous recommendation about Sebit William Garang Dut during years of our struggle. When I met Dan de Mabior ( former NPA coordinator last year he told me about Sebit) and I wish him well together with his loving family.

• Kur Wel Kur says:

Dear David,

Thanks for your time and comments. Thanks again for your contributions in this article. The information is just abstract so we will add more as we get the concrete details. I sent you some questions through your messenger so check and let me know.

The beauty of online writing is its ability to accommodate any correction. So if any of my Palataka brothers want to add, they can send the information to me via my email or through paanluel via paanluel 2011@gmail.com

Thanks once again for your time and.contributions.
        With best regards,
        Kur Wel Kur

• Kur Wel Kur says:

Dear Abur,
      Thanks for your time and comments. I didn’t know you were from Palataka. Nice to learn it now. Indeed, Sebit William Garang Dut, Awur Mawel Malual and all other teachers deserve our recognition and appreciation because they gave us their parental and educational guidance.

My brother, Sebit is sick in Juba so we( former Palataka boys) might run a fundraising campaign for his nursing. I just learn about his sickness when I was researching about this article. So, it’s good for me to know you’re from ‘Palataka community’.

Thanks once again for your time.
      With best regards,
      Kur Wel Kur.

4. william Abur says:

Dear Kur,
    Thanks for suggesting fundraising our leader and elder brother. Yes, I’m one of the Palataka seeds. My group was group 5. Please let me know by all means when fundraising is happening.

• Kur Wël Kur says:

Thanks, my brother for your willingness. I will definitely inform you. I will ask Ajak Deng Chiengkou to help us in this campaign. Ajak can announce it via the radio. The problem is that the year is winding up so we might forward our campaign to January, 2017.

Thanks once again.
      Kur wel kur

5. Yoma says:

That’s a great idea brother Kur !! Go ahead please with this message of fundraising and pass it to all Sebit William’s boys at home and around the globe. And above all, let’s ask our heavenly father to shine his healing torch on Sebit at this time of his hardship. He has taken good care of us and may God take care of him. Amen

• Kur Wël Kur says:

Dear Yoma,

Thanks once again for your comments and time. Thanks for being ready to help; we will let you know when we have gathered the statistics. Thanks for your inputs about Sebit’s children, indeed, Anyier is between Suzy and Dut, some other children came in the later years, probably Aluet and Ajak. But I was interested in his first three children. So, thanks for your contribution.

With best regards,
      Kur Wel Kur.

6. Yoma says:

Dear Kur Wel,
    I failed to scan the article properly. The little girl I talk about is Anyier. it is good that we are mentioning them for good reason.

• David Matiop says:

Dear Kur Wel,
      Thank you once again for wise idea of fundraising for treatment of our friend leader and a true developer of young leaders as we today. My dear Kur let the idea help be real by grace of God. This man is a human being we can’t let him down if we have anything to offer.

7. MKA says:

What you wrote could be true in some sense but that slavery like work started when Sebit took over.

• Kur Wel Kur says:

Thanks, MKA, for your time and comment. I don’t know whether you have read part two of this series, but I will remind you. Indeed, some of us were too young, but never did Sebit and Awur allow other caretakers to give us the jobs we couldn’t do. For example, do you know what Marek-rek(kids from 6/7-9 years) used to do? As a reminder, they used to sweep the compounds(theirs and teachers’) and peeling beans for the teachers. As far as my memory supports, that’s what I remember.

The rest of us could do Jobs as tough and dignify as thatching and plastering huts for ourselves and the teachers to as humiliating as fetching firewood/water and babysitting children for teachers’ wives.

I acknowledge these jobs as a part of backing your claims, but you must remember children must be trained in the best way possible because when they take over, they’ll takeover the world by storm.

Today, we are living in all four corners of the world and there’s nothing [hardship of course] that comes to us as a surprise.

Sebit William Garang Dut and Awur Mawel Malual did their best for us. Now we became of age, we’re appreciating their parental guidance they poured into nurturing us.

So my brother, it depends which Angle you view our lives in Palataka. It’s a bug to some children to hate work even if their biological parents rear them. They hate whenever they’re asked to help.

Otherwise, thanks for your comments,

Be blessed.
      With best regards,
      Kur Wel Kur.

8. Yoma says:

Dear MKA,
    Thanks again for your input. I was a Marekrek as mentioned by Kur Wel and our job description was exactly what Kur said. Life in Polataka was not 100% perfect brother, but I can understand why other teachers who were supposed to take care of us were abusive. Firstly, not all of them were professional trained teachers. Secondly, there was a military mentality among other teachers who treated us like slaves. And above all, we all knew that Sebit Walliam was a busy man, who spent little time in town as mentioned previously by David and Kur. if questions were to asked about who did what during our hardship then, Awur Mawel would be asked because he was a direct supervisor. Again, I am not throwing a blame on our teachers or security personal like Akoon and others who did a brilliant job of protecting us from enemies of liberation struggle. I am who I am today because of that hardship and mistreatment.We all know how bad Akoon and Majong Kong were in term of abuse and mistreatment. I personal forgive them and I wish them and their families all the best.

Yoma Deng.

• Kur Wel Kur says:

This is brilliant, my baby brother. When it came to professionalism for our teachers in Palataka, some fell off the radar. In part two of this series, I wrote: “….brutes exist everywhere, those who hate the guts of other people’s children if given a chance they would abuse other people’s children physically…”

So, Dr. John Garang sent Sebit as a camp commander so those brutes couldn’t mistreat us in a broad daylight.

Otherwise MKA, you have rights for an opinion.

By the way, Yoma where are you now? South Sudan, or in the Western countries?
      Thanks for comments.

• Bhear Peter says:

Dear my brethren,
        I am very much happy for making us recalled those dark days that hero Sebit William Garang Dut was taking care for us. Happiness is only killing me. most of us Red Army are now successful due to Garang DUT motivations, nothing much I should add apart from appreciation brothers

9. Kur Wël Kur says:

@ Bhear Peter,

Thanks for stopping by, and for commenting. Sure, this amazing man, Sebit William Garang Dut did his assigned job with excellence. And nothing we say than a thank-you.

Thanks,
    With best regards.

10. William says:

Brother Ayoma Deng,
    You forgot to mention Deng Ajang he was one of the bad teachers who abused young people in Palataka in term of slavery. Some horrendous things happened in Palataka including physical abuses.
    I still remembered the case of Agaamdit who badly tortured in front of thousand children in Palataka and many other cases.

11. Yoma says:

Hi Kur
    I am currently in Kenya, preparing to leave Kenya for Christmas in South Sudan. Hi William, do you mean Deng, the one with a disability? He is another but let forgive. The problem is we can forgive, but I find it harder to forget. Anyway life is full of both good and bad. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year 2017.