By Kur John Aleu, Beijing, China
December 30, 2016 (SSB) —- Civilization is defined as the stage of human social development and organization that is considered most advanced. Moral decay is demonstrated by the following trends; rise in immorality, the decay of religious belief and devaluing of human life.
To examine clearly the position our community stands in the face of contemporary realities of evolution, one has to ask the following questions: Is civilization incompatible with Morality? No, China would have been morally dead more than 50 years ago. It is the way people perceive it that matters
Are our ladies and youngsters under the influence of curiosity or with a misguided knowledge about civilization? Probably yes, this question constitute a central part of this article.
In the past, Bor community had some highly acceptable moral and cultural values as do the rest of the communities have in South Sudan. But the current dynamic in its moral deterioration among the civilized youths does not only question our degree of conservancy and allegiance to our own values but put our own longevity under threat.
Most of our ladies from Western world, East Africa and even back home have become different from what a traditional Dinka Bor ladies were known for, immorality has become a fashion driven by two misguided objectives of “exploration” and a “show of civilization”.
The use of vulgar words on social media, coded expression such as “he is boring”, he is a “villager “, indecent dressing which is narrowly perceived as being a fashionist , and their recent trends of intolerance in keeping marriage relationships are some of the manifestation of such a development.
They got it wrong, real/responsible men don’t marry a forge/physical beauty but rather a character. Men don’t marry fashion but decency. The aim of coupling is reincarnation but not a show of “styles” and therefore the performance are not supposed to be subjected to any standard.
Why, the above practices are a concern to the community?
- Traditional Family is under threat; in the Biblical context, a family is made up of a man, woman and children. It is not a secrete now days that women with two or even five kids are breaking up and leaving behind their kids just to start fresh relationship in pursuit of exploration. What is the future of those children without their biological mothers?
- Reincarnation is threaten; reproduction is the backbone to the continuity of the human race. Already Western and East African boys come to villages to marry, leaving behind thousands of ladies in their respective places without anyone to marry them. Of course Kawajat, Ugandans and Kenyans can’t leave their own sisters to marry our girls. In the long run the number of unhatched eggs keep on increasing thus causing a population deficit and against own reason of creation by God.
- Generation of deplorable; knowing the role mothers play in upbringing a child. What good moral values would a child imitate from an irresponsible, immoral and uncultured mother? Definitely the child will be worse than the mother and in the long run the community will have unproductive generation
Remedies to the challenges;
As seen in other more civilized societies. Cultures and morals values are the hallmarks of human dignity and heritage. In that context, the following suggestions will help attain am equilibrium between civilization and morality;
- Maintenance of a religion-based moral backbone; a church based operation against immorality can make a success as most of our populace are church goers. This can easily be achieved if and only if our spiritual leaders make church as a custodian of moral and spiritual teachings.
- Robust parenting; in fact most of the kids get spoiled at teen age, parents therefore need to take responsibility of nurturing at young age so that they grow with positive and acceptable attitudes.
- Self-control; ladies and youngsters must learn to live a dignified and respectful live, knowing that human wants are inexhaustible and therefore should wait to enjoy at a right time
- Revival of customary Judicial system; most of the family breakup now days are attributed to incompetent judicial system which has no regard to our customary law, therefore to preserve the Traditional family, local courts at Boma and Payam level need to be empowered.
- Civic education: there is a need of civil societies to create awareness about the dangers of foreign cultures and instill a sense of love of our own ancestral values which are compatible to civilization.
In nearly all cases, the decline in morality goes unrecognized as citizens see the degradation of moral values as an emancipation from the constraints morality placed on them. However, that view is at a misguided angle and called for rebution before its run out of control, therefore this piece of work is meant to inform the community of unfolding developments against its moral values and survival. We much act now.
The author, Kur John Aleu is a studying masters in Civil Engineering at the Beijing Jiaotong University in China. He can be reached via his email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The opinion expressed here is solely the view of the writer. The veracity of any claim made are the responsibility of the author, not PaanLuel Wël: South Sudanese Bloggers (SSB) website. If you want to submit an opinion article or news analysis, please email it to email@example.com. SSB do reserve the right to edit material before publication. Please include your full name, email address, the city and the country you are writing from.